MicroMeals: Stuffed Peppers

Vegan Version of Stuffed Peppers

Ashley Bankhead, Student Life Editor

Ingredients:

1 Can (14.5 oz) of Diced tomatoes

1 box of couscous

1 small white onion

3 whole peppers

1 can of black beans

Shredded Cheese (or substitute vegan cheese)—any type will work. It will depend on what you put in your peppers

Note: I would recommend using smaller quantities unless you want leftovers. I had enough for 3 peppers and still had a big Tupperware container worth of “stuffing” left.  Also feel free to use whatever vegetables or grains or meats you’d like. I just made an easy handpicked recipe that works for vegans, vegetarians as well as regular diets.

Steps:

1. Prepare couscous according to box (if it doesn’t have microwave directions, you basically just boil the water in the microwave and let the couscous sit)
  2. While couscous is cooking, cut up and gut peppers. You can cut them in half to make boats or just remove the top and guts and fill the whole pepper
  3. Combine couscous and vegetables into large bowl. Microwave long enough to cook vegetables. I microwaved on high for 6 minutes.
    1. This will vary based on the vegetables you use (Here’s a chart with cooking times for several vegetables)
    2. The tops of the peppers make great additions to the stuffing when chopped
  4. Place peppers in a flat dish with about 1 inch of water. Microwave for approximately 7 minutes.
  5. Fill peppers with rice mixture and top with however much cheese your heart desires
  6. Microwave for 1 minute (vegan cheese will require more time to melt)
  7. Enjoy!

Review: This recipe was absolutely delicious! It made tons of stuffing so I had leftovers for days. 4/5 stars.