Find A Work Study Job!

Squirrel Tracking at UNE, one of the many paid positions on campus.

une.edu

Searching for and applying to Federal Work Study jobs can be very overwhelming if you’re unsure about where to look, how to apply, and the best way to approach the interview. From a seasoned veteran of work studies and internships, here are tips for finding a position and acing the interview, and a few listings to get you started.

How do I find a Work Study position?

Easy! Simply check the listings at http://www.une.edu/sfs/undergraduate/financing-your-education/federal-work-study-program/biddeford-campus-work-study-opportunities for the Biddeford campus, and for the Portland campus check:  http://www.une.edu/sfs/undergraduate/financing-your-education/federal-work-study-program/portland-campus-work-study-opportunities.

You may not be seeing positions that you feel qualified for, but apply anyway! These jobs are all about offering you experience, so even if you know nothing about being a lab assistant, food preparation or event support, apply! You’re here to learn, and the best way to do that is hands on. The skills you gain here in everything from events set-up to research can serve you for a lifetime.

Then, there are some super work study jobs that aren’t listed on the website. These are usually pretty wonderful, flexible and highly in-demand positions. Many academic departments and some larger student clubs require students in work study positions to help with clerical work like making copies, calls, writing brief emails and helping to promote events. It’s easy, fun work, and it builds your personal and professional network at UNE by keeping you in touch with the faculty members and students in your major. The best thing to do is ask your advisor or your department’s administrative assistant about the potential for job openings in that office, and be sure to ask club leaders if they’re looking for extra hands at the Club Fair.

Nor’easter News has Work Study employment opportunities for many students, and we cater our jobs to your interests and schedule- so email, or ask us in person!

The Interview

Remember, this is an interview for employment. Even though you’ve been awarded work study, you have to earn a position to access that sweet Chipotle and Smitty’s pocket money. When applying for a position, make sure to read the full description. Pick out any and all of the skills you know you have, as well as the skills you’d like the opportunity to develop, and write them down. Make sure to find out the full name and title of the contact person provided in the listing, which is provide in the bottom box on the right of the web page.

Then, send an email to the contact person with a respectful greeting. Do not use Hey or Hi in your first email to anyone, ever. Something like Hello Dr. Smith or Dear Prof. Perlut is much more appropriate. If you haven’t met them and been instructed to call them by their first name or by Dr. D, don’t write “Dear Eric” or “Prof. Q.” Use their title and last name. Only use Mr., Mrs. or Ms. when you are sure the person prefers those titles. Most people working at Universities do not, and Staff and Faculty with advanced degrees generally prefer being called Doctor or Professor. (This is a lesson I learned the hard way in one of my first emails with my advisor. She was incredibly kind while firmly and gently correcting my faux-pas, but others may not be so nice.)  In the first paragraph, express your interest in the job opening, using the full title of the job as posted on the site. Tell the person a little about yourself- what your major and class year is, what your extracurricular interests are or where you come from are all good places to start.

In the next brief paragraph, Share what skills and traits make you a good fit for the position. For example, if you are really punctual and friendly, enjoy working with kids and have babysat since you were thirteen, mention that in your application to become an America Reads Tutor. Then mention the skills you hope to gain, like experience in the classroom, a greater understanding of ceramics studios or a portfolio of sports related videography, writing and coverage.

In the final paragraph, indicate that you would like an opportunity to interview for the position, offer a few convenient times that are free in your class schedule, and politely ask if any of these work for them. This email should be formulated much like a cover letter. (Google ‘Cover Letters’ for some examples if you’re unsure what those are.) Remember to spell and grammar check, and have your roommate or a friend read it over briefly before sending. Two eyes are better than one!

For some positions, a formal cover letter will be required, so structure a word document accordingly, and in your email simply and politely write that you have sent a cover letter and resume for the positions you’re interested in, and thank the person for their time or consideration.

It’s a good idea to throw together a brief resume with any relevant work experience. If you have no work experience, or it’s irrelevant, consider your high school extracurriculars and volunteering. If those complement any of the skills or traits needed for the position, include them. Many solid resume templates are available online and in Microsoft Word. Have a friend or parent read over the resume, or schedule an appointment with the internship office in order to present something solid and professional to your potential employer. Not every position will require a resume, or even a cover letter, but coming prepared with these things gives you a definite leg up on the competition, and they are easy to create.

Now, for the interview. Don’t stress. Come in dressed well (khaki’s, buttons ups, skirts and other casual business wear is encouraged.) Head to the library well before your appointment and print out a hard copy of the job description, your email or cover letter, and your resume to refer to. Show up, and be on time! You need to display your punctuality and dependability at this interview, those are the two most important skills at all of the jobs you will ever have. Remember to smile, be yourself, and answer any questions fully with a positive attitude. Sit with good posture, and keep your language professional and warm. Most importantly, remember you’re a great and accomplished person! You got through high school, in to college and somehow survived orientation and move-in day, so you can certainly get through this interview and earn the job.

Some recent postings on the Biddeford site:

Algae Lab Assistant

The Marine Science Center is expanding its Algae Lab. MSC will be growing both (micro-) phytoplankton and (macro-) kelp. There are several positions in the algae lab that need to be filled. Students will be trained in algae culture and their duties and responsibilities will advance with increasing skills and experience.

Skills:

-able to work as team

-disciplined and responsible with time management

-attention to detail and cleanliness.

If interested, contact

[email protected]

(207) 602-2287

http://www.une.edu/financialaid/undergraduate/types-aid/federal-work-study-program/jobs/33821

Athletics Event Operations Assistant

Assist the staff in Athletics at all home events with operations-related tasks, in the areas of: setting up facilities for competition; operating the scoreboard, video camera, music system, public address system; staffing the scorer’s table and helping with the compilation of statistics; serving as official line judges for volleyball; staffing the sidelines, swimming lanes, foul lines, cross country course; staffing ticket sales and merchandise sales; photography; webcast play-by-play announcing with live video.

Skills:

Punctuality and dependability; strong attention to detail; high level of professionalism and the ability to effectively interact and communicate with student-athletes, coaches, officials, administrators, and fans. A basic knowledge of sports is preferred.

If interested, contact:

[email protected]

(207) 602-2429

http://www.une.edu/financialaid/undergraduate/types-aid/federal-work-study-program/jobs/17689

Circulation Assistant

The Jack S. Ketchum Library is seeking student employees to staff the Circulation Desk. Applicants must possess a positive attitude, excellent customer service skills and attention to detail, and be punctual, dependable and computer literate. Must be able to understand bibliographic record/citation and have accuracy in reading alphanumeric sequences as well as the ability to stand, push a book truck, reach high or low shelves, lift 25 pounds, and to work independently and with minimal supervision.

If interested, contact:

[email protected]

(207) 602-2833

http://www.une.edu/financialaid/undergraduate/types-aid/federal-work-study-program/jobs/17776

Ceramic Studio Assistant

Help maintain the Ceramic Studio in the Art Building. Duties would include organizing the studio. Loading, unloading and firing kilns. Mixing glazes and general maintenance. Organizing tools and materials. Working on the computer and studio sitting.

Skills:

Willingness to work and not afraid to get dirty. Mixing glazes and firing the kiln will be taught to the right person. If you have good computer skills particularly with photo-shop. That is an added bonus but not necessary.

If interested, contact:

[email protected]

(207) 602-2883

http://www.une.edu/financialaid/undergraduate/types-aid/federal-work-study-program/jobs/17717

Other openings include Event Photographer, Graphic Designer, KidFit Camp Counselor, Lifeguard, Box Office Personnel, Wildlife Research Assistant- so many great opportunities to make money, use and develop your skills and talents! Positions fill fast, so apply today!