The University of New England's Premier Student News Publication

Nor'easter News

Nor'easter News

Nor'easter News

Creativity in the Air: The Bolt Hosts the first-ever Arts & Humanities Festival

This past Wednesday evening, October 11th, UNE students gathered in the Commons Atrium for a night of writing, artwork, and music.

At 4 PM sharp, some of UNE’s clubs representing the CAS (College of Arts & Sciences) opened their arms to the UNE community for a festive evening. Each hosted their own thematic activities where students could win prizes, artwork, or treats. 

To kick off the excitement, students could visit UNE’s Creative Writing Club (CWC) and choose between personalized poetry or trivia. Students who sought after a personalized poem from CWC were met with a collaborative and memorable gift to take home.

UNE’s Creative Writing Club.

Not only were poems written in real time by club members, but accompanied by typewritten form and artwork. Typewriters from The Bolt and Arts & Humanities furiously tapped away at keys, while Art Club accessorized each poem with tasteful sketches related to the text. The result: a physical token of appreciation for art and the humanities.

Selection of several poems that were made and given out during the event.

Adding to the festivities, Art Club also offered free face painting and henna art. Styled by member Lilliana Gurney, students could receive beautifully articulated flowers, symbols, and other small designs.

The club pushed the creative meter further by adding a third activity to their tabling. 

Printmaking, a process of carving rubber slabs into intricate drawings, can be used with fabric, paper, and wood cuttings. For the Art Club, carved slabs were layered in different paint shades and pressed onto colored paper. Students could watch the process but also take away a piece of it.

Zephyr joined the evening’s festival with poetry and prose. With a given prompt, attendees could go head-to-head in a three-minute writing challenge. Winners tasted success with candy bars as the prize.

Senior Shannon Callaghan gives a solo performance following a duet.

Closing out the evening on a high note, literally, Storm Surge treated the audience with both solo and duo performances.  First taking the floor was Quinn Thayer and Ruth Ellis, who played a duet, followed by Surge’s President Shannon Callaghan.

The Bolt would like to thank all those who attended. Additionally, thanks to the Arts & Humanities clubs for their involvement in creating an unforgettable night.