The University of New England's Premier Student News Publication

Nor'easter News

Nor'easter News

Nor'easter News

Student Spotlight: A Look into the Environmental and Marine Program

121 first-year students joined the School of Environmental and Marine Programs this Fall, a group that seemingly is small, but their passions and goals are quite the opposite. We asked a few students in this school questions about their time here.

What is your name and what is your major?  

“Ned Teany. I am a Marine Science major, with a concentration in Marine Biology.” 

Why did you choose UNE to be able to explore your major? 

“Because it’s right next to the river, and everything you know, is right on the beach. So, it makes sense for Marine Students.”  

What future goals do you have that you think experience in your major will help you accomplish?  

“I want to work at a job that I will actually enjoy going to. And one that isn’t an office job. So, laboratory work and being in the field and things like that is the goal since I like Marine Stuff, it would be nice to do it. Being able to combine my interests with something that is actually going to give me money.”

Ned Teany

Based on your experience as a freshman here so far, what do you have to say about the overall nature of the students in the School Environmental and Marine Programs? 

“They seem nice so far. I haven’t really talked with many people in my major if I’m being honest, but from what I’ve gathered from like group projects and stuff, it seems like everyone kind of has similar interests and mindsets. And you know, very well-rounded individuals I suppose.”  

What are your thoughts on the surge of younger generations getting involved in environmental advocacy and research? Do you think students at UNE follow this trend? 

“Yeah, because isn’t a good amount of the school Marine or Environmental? It seems it; it seems that’s a passion here. I think it’s good because we definitely need it. Especially because the world is struggling a bit, but I think it is good that people are getting involved and trying to fix the problems.”

“My name is Avry Robinson, and my major is Environmental Science.” 

“The main thing that attracted me to this college specifically was its proximity to so many different types of ecosystems. For example, we have the beach on campus and then we have the forest, and we have a salt marsh. It’s all within such a close proximity. It’s so easy to have opportunities to do field work, which was the thing that I was definitely most interested in and passionate about. I wanted to do work that was hands on in the field, so that was the thing that immediately drew me in.”  

Avry Robinson

“Okay so I’m kind of torn between a few things. I’m not exactly sure what kind of career I want to get into, but I know for a fact that I want to go into conservation biology and wildlife biology. So, preservation of endangered and threatened species. That’s the thing that I want to focus on mainly, not completely animal science based but animals and the environment together. Animals, the ecosystem and everything connected with that, so definitely wildlife preservation. I guess something along the lines of a park ranger.” 

“I would say that all the people that I’ve met in all my classes seem very driven and passionate. Everyone who I’m surrounded by feels like they really do care. And they want to make a difference. They’re dedicated to their studies and dedicated to helping the environment. And that’s something that I feel like in high school, people didn’t really care about in the classes that they were taking and it pushes me to care more than I already do. It shows that there is hope.” 

“Yes, I definitely think that they do because a lot of the people that I’ve been surrounded by have. Either by just coming here they’ve noticed that not only do they want to focus on the scientific aspect, but they also want to focus on I guess how it interacts with the law. Such as legislature, and they want to be part of affairs and Environmental Studies aspect as well. So, I’ve noticed that a lot more than I thought. People who are interested in the law aspects of the field. More than I would have imagined to begin with.”

“My name is Julia Purrazzella, and my major is Marine Affairs.” 

“There’s not a lot of schools that have Marine Affairs, especially in the Northeast. So somewhere that’s kind of close to home but far enough away that I could learn in a different ecosystem from New York City. So, it’s nothing here like it is in New York City.” 

“I want to pursue environmental law and marine law. So, I think Marine Affairs here is a really good starting point, either with a three plus three program with the University of Maine or going somewhere else.”  

Julia Purrazzella

“I think everyone is super-duper passionate about the field they are in, they really just want to make the world a better place and they all come from different backgrounds so many people have been doing so much cool stuff even before here.”

“Yeah, I think students here follow that trend. Not to toot my own horn, but I think I definitely do. I did a lot of research in high school with marine pollution, and even with youth involvement and sustainability at the United Nations water conference. Just a side event talking about that, and how youth involvement is really, really important because youth is the future. It’s up and coming. So, they need to. Having that perspective and people speaking for their future is important.” 

View Comments (1)