The University of New England's Premier Student News Publication

Nor'easter News

Nor'easter News

Nor'easter News

A manhunt is underway in Saco- Live Updates

The manhunt continues for three suspects involved in a multi-vehicle crash and shooting in Saco last Friday.
Photo taken from The Portland Press Herald. “Police activity on Union Street in Saco on Friday afternoon, where Saco police said they are responding to an “ongoing incident.” Shawn Patrick Ouellette/Staff Photographer”

Friday, February 9th

2:45 p.m.

A manhunt is underway in Saco after a vehicle with four possibly armed suspects crashed into an Old Orchard Beach school bus at the intersection of Beach St. and Main St. earlier this afternoon. A second car accident was also reported at the location during this time.

At approximately 2 p.m., the Portland Press Herald wrote that Saco police were already on their way to the crash site when the accident happened, as they were investigating reports of shots being fired in the area.

The suspects fled the scene following the crash, and no children were reported injured.

Any residents between the Saco and Biddeford town lines have been asked to shelter in place until further notice. Schools in both towns went into lockdown earlier this afternoon.

A post on the Saco Police Facebook page from approximately 1:40 p.m.

Local high school Thornton Academy, which is located less than two minutes from the crash, went into lockdown “suddenly,” said one 17-year-old student, “all they told us was that there was an incident in Saco.”

The high school, which typically dismisses classes at 2:45, has moved into a shelter-in-place until further notice. Efforts are currently underway to send students home safely.

3:00 p.m.

There is a heavy police presence on Union St., which is located a minute from the accident, as the investigation remains underway.

Armed officers in protective gear and a K-9 are patrolling the area, paying special attention to one home located on Scamman St., Ext., a dead-end street next to Union.

Students from Saco and Biddeford schools, with the exception of Thornton, were released as normal in the last hour.

3:20 p.m.

Thornton Academy students who drove themselves to school are now being released.

The school posted an Instagram story stating that “students who came via walking or bussing or [who were] dropped off” are still on campus, with more details coming soon.

The Press Herald has reported that law enforcement agencies from multiple towns, including Saco, Buxton and Scarborough remain present in the area.

3:50 p.m.

Police have found blood on a porch and outside a shed in the backyard of the Scamman St. home.

The home is being accessed and monitored by two law officials and a K-9 unit through an empty lot on Union St. that abuts the home’s backyard.

A drone is being used to search the home for the suspects.

4:00 p.m.

A group of law enforcement officials have now gathered in the home’s backyard, surrounding the back porch and shed.

Officers have opened the shed doors.

4:10 p.m.

Officers have cleared the shed. Police presence on Union St. has also dwindled.

4:30 p.m.

Corinne Jaeger, a Saco resident who has lived on Union St. since 2014, said she heard “what sounded like gunshots” before noon and was “startled” when she read about the incident online soon after.

“I was scared and worried about my daughters at C.K. Burns Elementary School and Saco Middle School,” she said. When Jaeger learned that her girls’ schools had gone into lockdown, she was “relieved.”

“My daughter in fourth grade was visibly stressed when I picked her up from school, saying she had been banging her head on her chair due to anxiety,” Jaeger said. Her older daughter, an eighth grader, worriedly texted Jaeger during school to ask what was happening as the school’s staff didn’t explain why a lockdown was taking place.

“I was so relieved when I picked both girls up and brought them home, but we’re all still on edge,” said Jaeger.

Before picking up her daughters today, Jaeger stepped outside to talk to the law enforcement officials, “the police yelled at me to go inside right away. That was scary.”

Later on, she witnessed a SWAT team vehicle arrive at the Scamman St. home.

Jaeger was also privy to a local Facebook discussion in which someone claimed that one of the suspects approached their house, bleeding, before being scared off by their dogs. “That made me anxious because it’s so close to my home, but I’m not sure if it was true.” This Facebook statement has not been verified but is a prominent example of the anxiety every local continues to face this evening.

5:00 p.m.

Thornton Academy is now allowing parents to pick up students who did not drive to school today.

Officials have stated that the suspects are thought to be Hispanic males and that one has likely been shot.

Police are investigating both car accidents earlier today, thinking there may have been an exchange of gunfire between a member, or members, of separate vehicles, and the school bus was hit after they crashed. A semi-automatic handgun has been retrieved from one of the vehicles.

Monday, February 12th

1:00 p.m.

The Saco Police Department posted a press release on Facebook stating that “through subsequent investigation, we have confirmed that only three individuals fled [from the accident].” The person assumed to be a fourth suspect was not involved in the crash on Friday afternoon.

9:00 p.m. 

Due to the Manhunt’s proximity to UNE, as well as the number of students that live in the surrounding area, The Bolt reached out to the University for comment on Friday. However, UNE has “no statement to share at this time.”

If you or anyone you know has information or video regarding the suspects, the shooting, or the vehicle crash, contact the Saco Police Department at [email protected] or by calling (207) 284-4535. Additionally, crime tips can be submitted at: https://www.sacomaine.org/departments/police_department/crime_tip_form.php

This story will continue to be updated as we learn more.