Stories and Anecdotes From President George H.W. Bush’s Post Life Presidency

Jean Becker delivers the 11th Annual George H.W. and Barbara Bush Lecture Series

Jack Allsopp

Jean Becker and Jason Denby answering student questions at the private luncheon.

This past Thursday, September 30th, the University of New England was proud to welcome Jean Becker to speak at the 11th annual George H.W. and Barbara Bush Lecture Series. Jean Becker was the Chief of Staff for the Bush presidency, since 1994 and until the end of H.W. Bushes’ life, she worked with and grew close family-like connections with the Bush administration. Before working in D.C., she began her career in journalism, writing several novels over her lifetime. By her side to this event came co-speaker Jason Denby, an aide who worked for the administration towards the end of H.W. Bushs’ life. 

Recently, during this past year’s pandemic, Becker wrote The Man I Knew, a heartwarming novel of the memories she collected during her years alongside the family. Her idea behind the novel is a “blueprint for a life well lived”, something she considered the Bushes to represent. The book itself consists of recollections of memories, letters, and photographs of the Bush family. It celebrates the lives and memories of both George and Barbara, also recognizing the many acts of kindness they participated in. 

The event had two parts, a private luncheon with Ms.Becker herself, and a public lecture later that evening. Twelve students were selected by professors and staff of the Arts and Humanities Department to be invited. For this event, those who were given the opportunity to attend received a copy of Ms. Beckers’s novel in order to read prior. 

I had the gracious opportunity to attend the luncheon, taking place in the Boardroom of the George and Barbara Bush Center at noon on the same day. In a small setting, students were able to ask questions regarding the novel or Ms.Becker herself. Many questions posed were in regards to her starting in journalism, first working for her hometown newspaper that had about only 12,000 residents. Others asked questions about her time with the Bushes’, recalling memories or attributes of individuals she was able to meet.

This event series is a way of commemorating and celebrating the lives of George H.W. and Barbara Bush. Both 41 (his nickname given by the Bush family after his son, George Bush, was elected the 43rd President of the United States) and Barbara devoted their lives to the American people during and after their time in the White House. Members of the Bush family are welcomed by the University every year to attend the series. In particular this year several family members, including George and Barbara’s daughter Dorothy Bush Koch, and Barbara’s brother were in attendance.

At 5:03 PM, in the Harold Alfond Forum, President Herbert opened the 11th annual event with remarks to members of UNE staff who make this event possible every year. Also, taking guests through the years of this series and remembering past speakers who have attended. One highlight being in 2019, where former Governor Jeb Bush and former President Clinton visited the University and spoke. 

As Ms.Becker took the stage, she thanked those she knew and everyone in attendance for joining her at this event. She said hello to those close to her in the audience, including Dorothy Bush Koch. Along with her on stage, Becker invited four of the post-presidential aides to the Bush family to sit alongside her and share memories of the Bushes. Beginning the lecture, Becker shared with the audience her favorite words that H.W. would say to her, “Jean I’ve had an idea”. Becker states that these words could have meant anything, a trip across the world to Chichijima to jump out of a plane, or spending his 80th birthday raising money for Cancer research. Without a doubt, President Bush spent every minute of his lifetime lending a hand to help another individual. 

Afterward, Becker sat with the four aides who, each individually, shared their most beloved memory from being with the Bush family. Below I share one memory that was given by the fourth and last aide to George H.W. Bush before his passing.

To give insight to the man H.W. Bush was, one of his post-presidency aides shared an anecdote: in his post-presidential years Bush had a Secret Service agent who shaved his head because his son, who was 2 years old, had been diagnosed with leukemia. In support, George himself then shaved his head. Overall, 20 Secret Service agents, the Bushes’ personal aides, and H.W. himself all shaved their heads in support for 2-year-old Patrick. To share this memory is to show the true selflessness of former President Bush, a quality that Becker remarked as admirable during her speech. 

Throughout the speech, multiple recollections similar to this one were shared with the audience. In her closing remarks, Becker first ended with a segment from Pearls of Wisdom, a novel that Barbara Bush wrote during her lifetime. It described a call to action to young people, its relevance to the audience, and society today, was crystalline. To paraphrase its meaning: young people are needed in the world, to be tolerant and to work together to make needed changes. The generation now, students who are getting educated, will be the ones to lead the change. 

Her other shared closing remark was a list of 10 pieces of advice from H.W. Bush himself. This lists’ intention is similar to what I had mentioned earlier in this article, a blueprint for a life well-lived. Becker believed that the Bush family embodies what a life well-lived consists of. From the help, they gave to others to the daily actions they performed. In her book, you can find this list of advice. This excerpt, and a few last words from Becker, closed the event for the night.

After its commencement, I was able to speak with a few individuals who were in attendance and gather some thoughts on the night’s venue. 

I first spoke with Dean Millen, the Dean for the College of Arts and Sciences at the University. He shared with me that his favorite detail of the event was that it was not a retell of Beckers’ novel, but other anecdotes of George and Barbara Bushes’ lives. 

Next I spoke with Jason Denby, sharing with me that it was an incredible day on campus for him. He enjoyed meeting with young adults studying at the University who were interested in the career paths of both him and Ms.Becker. It was an opportunity to share the knowledge he gained in his career and give advice to those headed the same way. One remark about the lecture itself that Denby gave was that he admired that Ms.Becker did not make her speech about herself, but simply her involvement in, and the celebration of the lifetime of the Bushes. 

Lastly, I was able to speak with the President of the University, James Herbert. In my conversation with him and our First Lady, he was candid and enthusiastic about how the night played out. President Herbert has had the pleasure of holding this event at the University for a number of years, highlighting that the 2019 lecture was an exceptional year for the series. Narrowing into this year’s event, he shared that this year’s lecture was a look into the human side of George and Barbara Bush, one that had not been previously shared. 

President Herbert also noted that he enjoyed that this series was not about politics, policy, or social issues. It was a humane event, quoting “values over politics”. A favorite part of the lecture for President Herbert was a memory shared by one of the personal aides to the Bushes. To paraphrase: when President Bush ordered one of his personal aides to undress from his business attire in public so he could attend The Rolling Stones concert, though his job was to escort the Bushes home. It showed the values Bush possessed and displayed it over his lifetime, even in old age. 

If you would like to watch a recording of this lecture, you may go on the University of New England website to look for it. The Bolt would like to thank Ms. Jean Becker and Mr. Jason Denby for their visit to the University of New England and attendance to this year’s lecture series.