The University of New England's Premier Student News Publication

Nor'easter News

Nor'easter News

Nor'easter News

Stow away the time with “Can’t Buy A Thrill”

This 1972 release by Steely Dan was ahead of its time in the rock genre. Its creative use of instrumentals sweetly marries the best of jazz, mambo, and folk with rich and imaginative lyricism.
Stow away the time with “Can’t Buy A Thrill

Yet another week flies by on campus with the doom and gloom of this past weekend’s winter revival and Maine’s sopping spring skies. From the third-floor windows of the dining hall, the typically beautiful view of the winding Saco River was stunted by the dense fog that’s been a frequent visitor over the past several days. A groovy album is just the cure for rainy-day blues. 

The classic Steely Dan album, “Can’t Buy A Thrill,” can have you imagining the rain misting your face as ocean spray while cruising along in a boat. The light, upbeat, and melodic yacht rock installment is a timeless masterpiece sure to turn any frown upside down and trudging steps into nimble prances. 

The album begins with “Do It Again.” Its upbeat nature and unique instrumentation cover up the lyrics of falling back into habits to the point of self-destruction, like violence, lust, and gambling. It’s one of the more well-known songs both off this song and Steely Dan’s discography, along with “Dirty Work” and “Reelin’ In The Years” off this same album.  

Throughout the tracks of “Can’t Buy A Thrill,” multiple stories are told. “Midnite Cruiser” tales an aimless wanderer noting how times have changed in the peak of the night, “The world that we used to know, people tell me it don’t turn no more,” sings Jim Hodder, lead vocalist and percussionist.   

In “Fire in the Hole,” Steely Dan tells a more politically charged story of not wanting to serve in the army. This album was released in 1972, making this song relevant to the many anti-war protestors of the Vietnam War. The anti-war lament is supported by an aggressive piano riff, giving extra strength and morale to the cause.  

When listening to “Can’t Buy A Thrill,” I cannot help but think of the cable infomercial channel that would try to sell a massive collection of the decade’s biggest music hits. They would have older celebrities reminisce over the “good ‘ole days” while snippets of the featured songs would play. I can vividly hear this album being a top feature, and it deserves every second of praise. 

As this gloomy weather is sure to stick around for a little longer, try putting a little pep in your step with the eclectic groove that is “Can’t Buy A Thrill.”